View the Archives | Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Friday, April 17, 2009

Doing stuff in Fort Lauderdale

 

We did find some things to do whilst stuck in Fort Lauderdale, Gesa describes it best...

On our first day we had to make a visit to the port to do customs. Considering it was sweltering hot and we just spent three hours hanging out at Customs and Immigration and waiting for taxis, the kids were pretty happy! Later, after the weather front came through, we went from sweating to death to covering up.

I was fixed on getting a Starbucks Coffee and tracked one down in the posh Marriot Hotel along the beach. The kids indulged in giant cookies, and Issie shared my coffee. Yes, she drinks coffee!! Nick and I separated so he could carry on and find the local grocery store, while the kids and I explored the hotel some more before spending the rest of the afternoon at the beach. Although we stocked up on food, by the time we were done on the beach and Nick had returned with the shopping, we decided to go out to eat. So we did at the Oasis Cafe where all the table have swinging seats. Good fun, keeps the kids entertained, even if it made me slightly sea sick!! But the cost of the meal definitely has encouraged us to eat aboard the rest of the time.

The next morning, after I wondered off for a coffee on my own, I promised the kids I would take them to the beach when I came back. Well, Issie was acting up, and since Nick was staying aboard anyway, only Max and I went for an hour. Another weather system has come through, and although still warm, the strong southerly winds down by the beach can be chilly. It does not seem to matter to the hoards of Spring/Easter Break students down here en mass. I however, covered up with a towel! And finally, the famous Hall of Fame pools. We can now apparently use them now that the national swim meet is over, but it appears to be only lap swimming. Good for me but not for the kids. Right now we are all full of cold so not a good time for swimming.

On Saturday, we spent the day at the Discovery and Science Museum. Unfortunately, both Nick and I were very tired and under the weather (Issie and Nick being the worst off with colds), so I in particular found it hard (especially without my morning coffee) to get enthused about all the activities I am all to familiar with now. It was a good museum, but not one of the most outstanding. What was the most annoying is indoor temperature control in the USA. It is extreme air conditioning. At one point I found myself an exit to the balcony so I could at least warm up for a bit outside before re-entering the fridge zone! The kids were oblivious of course. They also have an IMAX theatre, and we had already said we would take them to see Monsters vs. Aliens. Just a bonus we could see it in 3D as well. Shame we had to squeeze it all into one day. The cinema is in the same building as the museum, but air control separate. It was even COLDER in the theatre!!!!! The movie was OK, some of the special 3D effects in space were pretty cool, but the story itself nothing extraordinary. Ah well, it passed another day in sunny, albeit windy, Florida.

By the evening, the temperature was still quite warm but muggy too. Seems like we go from one extreme to the other. We are literally within 300 yards of the beach front, where the air is a lot cooler. We are so well protected in the marina that little wind comes in to cool us, so we just sit, bake and swelter. We are not used to just sitting still, let alone in a marina. So I will whisk the kids off to the beach for a few hours while Nick does boat stuff, runs the engine (for power) and writes some blog. Then we will swap in the afternoon and I will just have some me time.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home