View the Archives | Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Meanwhile in Michigan

Gesa writes again about their days up north...

Today we have had a complete turn around in the weather. Still beautiful
and sunny but a severe drop in temperature (ground frost warning for
tonight). Yesterday I was hot running around in my sun dress (temp about
28C); today my fingers are numb, my nose cold, and I'm ready to go to bed with
socks and a hot water bottle again!!

I am worried about our early season start up here on the boat. We will have to dig out the duvets and extra
blankets. And you and crew may have to get out the sleeping bags soon.

Issie had a great day at Grace's school, although we had a hard time getting
Grace out of the house this morning. She mucked in with all the kids,
playing and working, and even wrote three story books. OK, being a little
lazy with sometimes only one word per page, but still. To me, what they do
in Kindergarten is far more advanced than I remember as a kid. I remember
lots of play, my ABCs, snack and nap!!

Max and Henry played superbly together and, with Jen being the classroom volunteer, I became housekeeper
for the morning; sorting laundry, dishwasher etc. and preparing lunch for
their return. Jen had a meeting at the nursery across the road so we all
went there for some play, which they loved. Jen and I were both shattered
after this so we postponed our library trip to tomorrow and settled for a
more quiet afternoon with video and play.

Dinner would have been very good had it not been for Issie's constant inability to sit properly & fidgeting;
she was asked several times to stop, then warned and notified of the
consequences (dinner over and bed) and yet she still could not do it!!!
Well, I followed through and hopefully to make it sting even more the rest
went on a walk (Max cycled on the tricycle) to the school park, while we
were left to sort discipline.

I got a book, 'How to Raise Respectful Children', and the child
psychology is applicable and useful. We started today: slow listening, when
you do not listen, talk back, etc. has negative consequences, like time
outs, loss of privileges and bad feeling. Fast listening, is quick and
easy, fun, and gives you privileges. Fast listening has two steps, 'say'
and 'do'. e.g. When Mummy asks you to turn off the TV and get ready for
bed, you should respond with "OK, Mummy", then the next step is 'do',
basically do it, and do it fast. You are allowed to ask a respectful
question. e.g. rather than whine or grump, you can say, " May I please just
have a few more minutes to watch the end of the show?". Chances are I will
say yes, but if the answer is no, then they have to accept this too. Issie
seems to have done well with this first lesson, now we need to practice it, we shall see.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home