View the Archives | Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Friday, January 11, 2008

Creepy Crawlies

We spent New Year in Nonsuch Bay, quite an out of the way place with no easy way to get things like food, water, or to dispose of rubbish. This taught us a useful lesson, but I'd better tell it in Gesa's words, from an email to one of our friends. Not for the squeemish.
----------------
The good news, I finished a book! Wow, the second one this year (2007)! I have not really managed to read more than articles since having the kids (no time and too tired). Actually finding time on the boat has its challenges too. We are up quite early, of course have a whole day outdoors (usually on the beach or some other expedition), and by the time we have finished with dinner and clean up and kids finally get to sleep (which has been difficult), we just collapse into bed as well, and it is only 8pm. So, it was rather unusual for Nick and myself to up after 10pm last night as we decided to watch a movie. That in itself would have made us quite tired anyway, unfortunately at 5am something wet and solid hit my face. It turned out to be a maggot!!!!!!!! Needless to say I freaked out. I could only guess it came from the rubbish on deck waiting to be taken ashore. Unfortunately, we have not dealt with rubbish since the 29th and have a little collection. Of course it is warm here...well, I leave it to your imagination. I refused to go back into our bed. (What happened, is one of the little guys managed to squirm his way across the deck and into one of the side hatches (hence his free fall onto my face). Nick secured the bags into large bags, sprayed bleach and washed the deck with salt water I still had trouble sleeping and so have woken up a little worse for wear.
----------------------
Oops. We are now a little more careful.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

One word. Blech! I feel for you Gesa! I hope things are a little bit more civilized now and that management is starting to keep things more tidy. :)

We think of you guys lots and wave to you from our part of the Ocean.

Julia and Co.

10:23 pm  
Blogger The Mig said...

I had to smile when I read this. Something similar happened to us in the States last year in a hot August. Like you, I bleached the place to within an inch of its life and got paranoid if Owen didn't take out the rubbish daily. Hot humid weather brings its challenges as well as its nice side.

Thinking of you all and following the blog regularly. Take care and have fun.
Love Mig & Owen xx

4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home