View the Archives | Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Rainy day, leaky boat

On a boat, the best place for water is on the outside. But they call these Taiwanese boats 'Leaky Teakys' for a reason. Over the years, there are a thousand places water can find it's way in, most of those thousand are the screws holding down the teak deck, and, beautiful as it is, that deck is coming off. Heaven know what we'll find beneath. 

Today, it was raining outside and water was running along the decks, even below our tarp. Inside, I could feel the damp and decided to go track down one or two of the more troublesome leaks. Removing the lining from one of our lockers showed up one of the trickier problems. This is the diesel fill line, 35 years old. The tube is still in pretty good shape, but the deck fitting is seeping water all around. When we take the decks off, reseating the fitting will solve that. 


In the locker beneath, years of slight leaks have flaked off the paint and left a few stains. Solving the leak and repainting the locker will sort that out.


Up above, behind the headlining, there has to be more trouble. But how much?


In the end, not much, thankfully. Some damp making it's way in through the top left corner where cables run up to the deck, that will need to be sealed up, but otherwise all the water seems to result from the drainage of that leak. We'll let it dry out and eventually all this overhead will be insulated, rewired for lighting and covered with new headlining. Cedar tongue and grove is my thinking for now.


Saturday, March 25, 2017

That pesky final bolt

Managed to free the fourth and final bolt from the prop shaft. The flats had rounded off slightly and so the wrench just slipped off. If you just use a single wrench, the shaft spins, so you have to put another wrench on a bolt on the other side, and they are so tight you then end up standing with one foot on each wrench and gently bouncing until the bolt gives.

For this last one, I figured a ring spanner would work best, but the housing of the coupling is so close to the bolt head that there's not enough space to get a normal ring spanner over the bolt. But there's little an angle grinder can't help with. I ground down the end of a ring spanner to remove a lot of the metal of the ring, hoping the remainder would be enough to hold together and deliver the required torque.

First attempt was going ok when there was a twang and my right foot landed in the bilge. The ring spanner was fine, but the wrench on the other side had snapped one of the arms.

Tools of the job - the failed wrench, and the ring spanner with the ground down end

Fortunately, there's a spare wrench and the second try had the bolt shift gently under my foot, then backed away and bingo, clear air between prop shaft and gearbox. Celebrations...


Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Getting warmer

Been wanting a woodstove for a while, to give that lovely dry heat to the cabin. Since we don't use the oven at all, a stove could go there and be used as a cook-top in the winter, with the alcohol stove backup Or something like that, we'll see.

My preferred stove is the beautiful Little Cod stove, but it's out of our price range for now.



So in the meantime, we've bought a smaller and much cheaper 'Grizzly' tiny stove from a Quebec company. And it arrived today, so time for a test firing, then we'll look to install it on board.


Monday, March 20, 2017

Back to work - Paint blasting

After a couple of weeks away in England, and some time recovering from the cold I picked up there, I've been watching a video blog by an enterprising Danish guy who is refitting his Warrior 39. Check out the SailLife channel. h/t Owen for sharing this one with me.

Anyway, being single, with a 9-5 job, he gets a depressingly large amount of work done every week and records a video about it too. Lots of inspiration, not least of which that anything is possible with determination and power tools. Anyway, he got the hull pressure blasted to remove the paint, so I figured that was a reasonable option.

This weekend, hired a pressure washer with a sand blast attachment....


Parked next door, each side, are two mini-buses from the local transport company. Not wanting to sand blast them too, Issie and I set up a big tarp wall.

And so to work. The sand blasting worked well on metal, but used up sand pretty quickly and wasn't really effective on the layers of paint. But changing to just the the pressure washer with a water knife nozzle got a lot of the paint off in big chips.


Some places, it's still too well stuck to come off that way, so it'll be back to the hand scraper and sanding for that, but this got a huge amount of the work done in two sessions. Also pressure washed the topsides to make it easier to clean when time comes to paint those.


All told, when tidied up and cleared away on Sunday, there was a lot more bare hull to see than paint. That's progress....